Ina Margaret Laird
Funeral services for Miss Ina Margaret Laird [were] held Sunday, June 20, in Cleveland, where she had been ill for several months. Miss Laird was a niece of Miss Margaret Laird, who for a number of years was connected with the Oberlin Bank; and had developed a business ability similar to that of her aunt’s. Her childhood home was in Oberlin with her grandmother, and she graduated from the high school here [in 1899]. She was enrolled in Oberlin academy in 1899-1900, received her business education in Chicago, and taught there four or five years in the business college. For some years she had been connected with the Cleveland Trust Co., where her opinion on business matters was highly regarded and where she will be greatly missed. Her Aunt Margaret came on from California to be with her at the last and is now visiting a sister in Batavia, N.Y., where interment was made.
The Oberlin News, Thursday, July 31, 1924, p. 1.

Died [Jessie Marian Laird]

Miss Jessie Marian Laird, after an illness of several months, died at the home of her mother, Mrs. S. L. Laird, No. 163 East College street, on Thursday morning, August 18, 1904.
Miss Laird was a graduate of the Oberlin high school of the class of 1902 and a member of the class of 1907 in Oberlin College. She gave up her work in college last April on account of a severe nervous attack, but recovered sufficiently to go with her mother to Beloit, Wis., the latter part of June, where she hoped to regain her health. She improved for a while, but about the middle of July an attack of acute tuberculosis of the lungs set in which progressed very rapidly on account of her weakened condition. She came back to Oberlin the last of July in company with her mother, and Mr. and Mrs. B. L. Laird, and everything possible was done to check the ravages of that dread disease, but to no avail, and she passed away a little before five o’clock yesterday morning.
The deceased was born at Lanark, Ill., February 8, 1884, and received her early education in the public school of Rockford and Freeport, Ill., coming to Oberlin in 1898 with her mother and brother, B. L. Laird, O. C. ’02. She completed the high school course here, spent the following year in the Academy, and entered the freshman class in college last fall. She was a faithful member of the Second Congregational Church, and a prominent and devoted member of the Christian Endeavor Society, being at one time president of that organization. Her life was simple and unassuming, but marked with a rare spirit of kindness and thoughtfulness for others and great unselfishness. Her beautiful Christian character and sincere devotion to the purest and noblest in life endeared her to a large circle of friends who deeply mourn her loss. Besides her mother, Mrs. S. L. Laird, she leaves a brother, Mr. B. L. Laird, O. C. ’02, former principal of the Oberlin high school, an instructor in the Cleveland Normal School, and three cousins, the Misses Mabel, Frances, and Ruth Woodside, who make their home with Mrs. Laird.
The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon at four o’clock from the family home, 163 East College street, the services to be conducted by her pastor, Rev. Dr. H. M. Tenney, and Rev. Henry Sanders, a missionary from Africa. The interment will be at her old home in Freeport, Ill.
The Oberlin News, Friday, August 19, 1904, p. 1.

Helen Frances (Harvey) Lamberton

Helen Harvey Lamberton died Oct. 19, 1981, in Cleveland. She was born in Baltimore, Jan. 22, 1894, the daughter of Frances Ryder Harvey ’79. She [graduated from OHS in 1911 and from Oberlin College in 1915,] attended graduate school in biology at Bryn Mawr 1915-16 and was an instructor at Randolph-Macon Women’s College in Lynchburg, Va. She then did research and photographic work at Western Reserve Medical School 1919-23. During that time, she photographically illustrated all of the research articles published by the anatomy department.In 1922 she married Clark D., a professor of art history at WRU. He died in 1965.Her brothers, Ted ’10 and Harold ’12, and sister, Florence Pinger ’14, are deceased. She leaves a niece, Frances Harvey Moran ’39.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, Winter 1982, p. 61.

Douglas LambieDouglas Lambie

Douglas “Doug” Lambie, 45, of Barrhead, Scotland, passed away December 17, 2005. 
Douglas immigrated to the United States at the age of five with his family in 1965. Douglas spent his childhood in Oberlin, Ohio, where he graduated from Oberlin High School (OHS) in 1978. Immediately after graduation, Douglas enlisted in the United States Air Force where he served honorably from 1978 – 1982. Discharged from the Air Force in 1982, Douglas returned to Scotland where he graduated from Paisley University with a degree in Management.
Douglas was preceded in death by his father Robert and is survived by his son Christopher, his mother Margaret, his sister Anne (John) Cogley, and numerous family and friends.
Douglas was a dedicated member of the East Kilbride Church of Christ and will be sadly missed by all who knew him.
A memorial service was held in Paisley, Scotland on January 25, 2006.
Obituary provided by family

Everett W. Lampson
A memorial service was held Sunday in Columbus for Everett W. Lampson, formerly of Oberlin, who died Oct. 6 after a brief illness. He was 55. Rev. Edward W. Jones, rector of Christ Episcopal Church from 1957 to 1968, conducted the service.
Mr. Lampson, an attorney, was born in Oberlin on Oct. 24, 1914. He attended Oberlin High School [graduating in 1932], was graduated from Oberlin College in 1936 and several years later took his law degree in Columbus.
At the time of his death, Mr. Lampson was Warden of the State of Ohio—an appointive office in which he was responsible for seeing that insurance companies doing business in the state abided by the law.
Mr. Lampson resided in Columbus for the greater part of his professional career. He served four years in the U.S. Navy during World War II and attained the rank of lieutenant, senior grade.
He is survived by his wife, the former Jane Kinney of Oberlin; a son, Timothy, and a daughter, Laura, all of Columbus; and by his mother, Mrs. Ruth M. Lampson of Oberlin.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, October 15, 1970, p. 6.
William Everett Lampson, claims attorney, died Oct. 6 in Columbus, Ohio, after a brief illness. Born Oct. 24, 1914, in Garrettsville, Ohio, he was the son of Everett Jefferson and Ruth Murdock Lampson, A.M. ’20, emeritus professor of English. He attended Oberlin public schools [and graduated from OHS in 1932]. In 1946, he received his L.L.B. from Franklin University, College of Law, Columbus.
Following graduation from Oberlin [College in 1936], Mr. Lampson worked for the Selby Box Co. in Cleveland until he joined the Liberty Casualty Co. in 1937. He worked at that company’s offices in Boston, Chicago, and then Cincinnati, until 1941.
Mr. Lampson was a lieutenant in the Navy for three years during World War II, after which he returned to Columbus where he had been studying law at Franklin and working as an insurance adjuster for Knepper, White, and Dempsey. In1949 he passed his state bar examinations, and in 1956 he became a general partner and head of the claims department at Knepper, White, Richards, Miller, and Roberts.
Mr. Lampson leaves his wife, the former Laura Jane Kinney, ’37, whom he married in 1938, a son, Timothy, a daughter, Laura, all of Columbus, and his mother in Oberlin.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, November 1970, pp. 46-47.

Jane Kinney Lampson
Jane Kinney Lampson, 75, an Oberlin native, died in Columbus on Jan. 5. Services were held Jan. 9 at the Maple Grove Methodist Church, of which she was a recent member.
Mrs. Lampson was graduated from [Oberlin High School in 1932 and from] Oberlin College in 1937. In 1982 she retired after serving 17 years as head of the art department of the Ohio State University book store. She was also a member of the P.E.O. sisterhood.
Survivors include a son, Tim, of Columbus; daughter, Laura Shumaker, of Columbus; sister, Kathleen Chase, of Miami, Fla.; brother, Carl Kinney Jr., of Oberlin; and several nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Everett W. Lampson, in 1970.
A graveside service in Westwood Cemetery will be conducted by the Rev. David Anderson, at 1 p.m. today (Jan. 14).
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, January 14, 1992, p. 2.

David H. Lancashire
David H. Lancashire, 70, of Littleton, Colo., former Oberlin resident, died Nov. 10 in Denver after a long illness.
Born in Oberlin, he graduated from Oberlin High School in 1943.
He served in World War II and received the Purple Heart and Bronze Star.
After graduating from Miami University, he worked as director of food services at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Mich., Oberlin College, and the Portland, Ore., Public Schools.
Survivors include his wife Sally A. of Tigord, Ore.; daughter, Suzanne L. Wilson of Aurora, Colo.; sons, Scott A. of Boulder, Colo., David P. of Long Beach, Calif., and Michael H. of Portland, Ore.; a brother, Richard B. of Westlake; and a sister, Jane L. Gornall of Oberlin.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Lawrence and Eldah Hayden Lancashire; and a sister, Ellen L. Dangle.
Services were Nov. 14 in the Cowling Funeral Home with the Rev. Mary A. Hulst officiating. Burial was in Westwood Cemetery.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, November 21, 1995, p. 10.
David H. Lancashire
A service has been held in Oberlin, Ohio, for David Lancashire, former food services director in the North Clackamas School District and Mt. Hood Community College.
Mr. Lancashire died Nov. 10, 1995, of cancer at age 70.
He was born June 29, 1925, in Oberlin, Ohio, and graduated from Miami University in Ohio. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II and received the Purple Heart and Bronze Star for action during the Normandy invasion of June 1944.
He is survived by his wife, Sally; daughter, Suzanne Wilson of Aurora, Colo.; sons, Scott of Boulder, Colo., David of Long Beach, Calif., and Michael of Portland.
The family suggests remembrances to the American Cancer Society.
The Oregonian, Portland, Oregon, Saturday, November 25, 1995, p. C02.

Services Held Monday for Mrs. Lancashire
Funeral services were held Monday at the Cowling-Stang Funeral Home for Mrs. Lawrence B. Lancashire, 65, of 12 Shipherd, who died Saturday at 9:20 a. m. at Allen Hospital after a one-day illness.
Eldah Hayden was born in Flint, Mich., Feb. 17, 1893. She had lived in Oberlin for 52 years.
Besides her husband she is survived by two sons and two daughters; David H., Richard B., Mrs. Jane Gornall and Mrs. Ellen Dangle, all of Oberlin; two sisters, Mrs. Audrey Gradle, Los Angeles, Calif., and Mrs. George H. Armacost, Redlands, Calif.; and one brother, L. F. Hayden, Monroe, Mich.
Rev. Warren Lynes, pastor of First Baptist Church, which Mrs. Lancashire attended, conducted the service, and burial was in Westwood Cemetery.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, May 1, 1958, p. 1C.

Lawrence Lancashire dies at 70 at daughter’s home
Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon at the Cowling Funeral Home for Lawrence Birdsall Lancashire, 70, of 12 Shepherd. He died last week Wednesday night at the home of his daughter Mrs. Kenyon (Jane) Gornall, 94 Shipherd.
Rev. William Scheeley, pastor of the First Baptist Church of which Mr. Lancashire was a member, conducted the service. Burial was in Westwood Cemetery.
Born in Evart, Mich., Mr. Lancashire had lived in Oberlin for 58 years [and was a 1914 graduate of Oberlin High School]. He was employed in the sales department of the former C. A. Olsen Mfg. Co. in Elyria until his retirement in 1960. Since then he had been an investment agent for Pierre R. Smith and Co., Elyria.
Mr. Lancashire was graduated from Oberlin College in 1920 and then from the Oberlin School of Commerce. He was a teacher at OSC for a time. He was a member of the Oberlin Rotary Club and Oberlin Masonic Lodge 380.
Surviving besides the daughter at whose home he died are another daughter, Mrs. Eugene (Ellen) Dangle, College Park, Md.; two sons, Richard B. of North Olmsted and David H. of Grand Rapids, Mich.; one sister, Miss Margaret Lancashire of Cleveland Heights; and 13 grandchildren. His wife, Elda, died in 1958.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, June 30, 1966, p. 8B.

Ceasar Lancaster
Oberlin -- Ceasar Lancaster, 23, of Oberlin, died unexpectedly Monday, Aug. 12, 2002, in the Allen Medical Center emergency room.
He was born July 14, 1979, in Philadelphia and lived in Oberlin most of his life.
He graduated from Oberlin Senior High School in 1997 [1998].
Lancaster attended Rust United Methodist Church, Oberlin, and Mount Zion Baptist Church, Oberlin.
He enjoyed basketball, working with computers and cooking.
Survivors include his father, Ronald Lancaster Sr. of Lorain; mother, Deborah Lancaster of Oberlin; brothers Paris and Ronald Lancaster Jr., both of Oberlin; grandparents Gaylord and Mary Francis of Oberlin and William and Barbara Lancaster of Lorain; and many aunts, an uncle and other relatives. He was preceded in death by his great-grandfather, Spencer Fenderson, and an uncle.
Friends may call Friday from 9 a.m. until time of service at 11 a.m. at Rust United Methodist Church, 128 Groveland St., Oberlin, with the Rev. Michael D. Harris, pastor, officiating.
Burial will be in Westwood Cemetery, Oberlin.
Brown-Robinson Funeral Home, Lorain, is handling arrangements.
The Morning Journal, Lorain, Ohio, Thursday, August 15, 2002.

Barbara E. Lander
Barbara E[llen] Lander, 88, formerly of Berlin Township, died Tuesday at the Huron Health Care Nursing Home, where she was a patient for 18 months.
Born in Berlin Township, she was a 1920 graduate of Oberlin High School.
After attending Oberlin Business College, she was employed by the U.S. Rubber Co. as a secretary in the firm’s Cleveland and Detroit offices.
A member of the Oberlin Congregational Church, she was also a member of Metropolitan Opera Guild.
Mrs. [Miss] Lander is survived by several nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by a brother, William, in 1977; and by her parents, Miles and Anna Lander.
Friends may call today 7-9 p.m. at the Hinman Funeral Home in Berlin Heights.
Services will be Friday at 1:30 p.m. in the funeral home, with the Rev. Stephen Evans officiating. Burial will be in West End Cemetery, Berlin Heights.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Thursday, August 17, 1989, p. C-2.

Mrs. Floyd [Margaret E.] Lang
Mrs. Margaret Emma Lang, 57, of 276 North Professor St., Oberlin, a lifelong area resident [and 1937 graduate of OHS], died in her home this morning after a long illness.
Mrs. Lang was a member of the Oberlin Grange and the First United Methodist Church.
She was born in Henrietta Township, Nov. 23, 1917.
Surviving are her husband, Floyd; three sons, Charles, Wellington, Robert, Miami, Fla., and Keith, at home; four grandchildren; three brothers, Louis Luikart, Grafton, and Charles and Jacob Luikart, both of Oberlin; a sister, Mrs. Robert (Katherine) Jordon, Elyria.
Friends will be received in Cowling Funeral Home, Oberlin, tomorrow from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.
Services will be Thursday at 1 p.m. in the funeral home with the Rev. Donald Yaussy officiating.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Tuesday, August 19, 1975, p. 14.

Paul Horace Langdon
Paul Horace Langdon died in Baltimore, Maryland, on April 30, 1960. He was 65 years old. He was born in Buffalo, New York, December 27, 1894. [He graduated from OHS in 1913 and from Oberlin College in 1917.] Mr. Langdon got his law degree from the University of Maryland and was admitted to practice before the United States District Court and the United States Circuit Court of Appeals as well as the Maryland bar. For many years he was connected with Bethlehem Steel, first in the Baltimore, Md., and later in the Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, office, retiring in 1959. He served in the Ordnance Corps in the Army in 1918.
Mr. Langdon is survived by his sister, Miss LaDema Mary Langdon.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, December 1960, p. 39.

Phyllis Minnie Langdon
Phyllis Minnie Langdon, 94, of Oberlin, passed away Monday, February 7, 2011, at home, surrounded by her family. She was born October 17, 1916, in Oberlin [and graduated from OHS in 1934].
Phyllis worked as a cook at Oberlin City Schools for many years and also at Oberlin Dry Cleaners for many years. She was a member of the Oberlin Senior Center. She enjoyed sewing, weaving, cooking and reading.
She is survived by a daughter, Karen L. Herrick [OHS ‘58] of Oberlin; two grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and one great-great-grandchild.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Howard Langdon; son, Kenneth Langdon; two grandchildren; mother and father, Althea B. and Henry Kruger; and sister, Esther Hemphill.
Visitation will be Monday, February 14, 2011, from 10 A.M., until the time of the Memorial Service at 11 A.M., in Pittsfield Community Church in Pittsfield. Pastor Kenneth L. Gerhardt, of the church, will officiate. There will be a private family burial in Pittsfield Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Pittsfield Community Church, 17026 St. Rt. 58, Wellington OH 44090.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Thursday, February 10, 2011.

Robert E. ''Radar'' Langdon
Wellington -- Robert E. ''Radar'' Langdon, 61, of Wellington, died Tuesday, April 22, 2008, at his home following a lengthy illness.
He was born Oct. 5, 1946, in Lodi, and spent most of his life in Oberlin. After marrying, he moved to Wellington and lived there for the past 17 years. Robert was a 1965 graduate of Oberlin High School and attended the Lorain County Community College. He served in the U.S. Army from 1968 to 1970 during the Vietnam War. He worked at the former GTE, and he retired from Verizon in April 2007. He was a member of the Wellington Eagles 2051, the Wellington American Legion Post 8 and AA for many years. Robert loved cooking, golfing, gardening and enjoyed traveling and camping.
Survivors include his wife, Sharon, of 15 years; six children Raymond Langdon, Adam Langdon and Tinaka Lewis, all of Marblehead, Abraham Langdon of New London, Timothy Langdon of Oberlin, and Amanda Riggs of Wellington; and 14 grandchildren. Robert is also survived by his siblings Donna Roser of Wellington, Charlene Mimms of Douglasville, Ga., Diane Dann of Nova Scotia, Canada, and Ada Marginiean of Columbus. He was preceded in death by his mother, Eileen Pelton.
Friends may call from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. on Friday, April 25, at Norton-Eastman Funeral Home, 370 S. Main St., Wellington, where funeral services will be Saturday at 11 a.m. with the Rev. Brian Burke officiating. Burial will follow at Penfield Cemetery with military rites.ÊCondolences may be expressed online at
The Morning Journal, Lorain, Ohio, Thursday, April 24, 2008.

Sarah Waite Lasater
Mrs. Milas Lasater (Sarah Waite) died of a heart attack Nov. 24, 1947, at her home in Pauls Valley, Okla., the place of her birth in 1868, and residence in the early years of her married life. [She was an 1886 graduate of OHS and an 1891 graduate of Oberlin College.] She was active in club affairs there, being one of the organizers of the Music Club, and a member of the literary club known as the Alternative Saturday Club.
In 1906 her husband was appointed a delegate to the State Constitutional Convention held in Guthrie, Okla. Later he became Insurance Commissioner for the State, and the family moved to Guthrie, where they resided until 1910, when the Capitol was moved to Oklahoma City. During their residence there Mrs. Lasater helped to organize the first branch of the American Association of University Women in Oklahoma.
For a few years they lived in Wichita where she was an active member of the League of Women Voters.
After the death of her husband in 1929, she returned to Pauls Valley. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. W. F. Duker of Pauls Valley, and Mrs. Harold J. Roes (Carol Lasater, x’29) of Honolulu, Hawaii; and two sisters, Mary Waite (con. ’90-’91) of Pauls Valley and Mrs. Paul N. Kerr (Irene Waite, x’98) of Denver.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, February 1948, p. 29.

Jean Lathrop of Berea was a teacher 42 years

[Wilma] Jean Lathrop, 71, of Berea died of a heart attack at her home Tuesday [Thursday, June 16].
Miss Lathrop was born in Kipton[, graduated from OHS in 1940,] and was an Oberlin College graduate.
She was a teacher for 42 years, spending 28 of those years with the Berea schools.
She was a member of the Berea Fine Arts Association, the Bach Chorus, the Community Chorus and the Friends of the Library.
Miss Lathrop attended Berea Baptist Church and performed with several small music groups.
She did volunteer work at Southwest General Hospital and spent many holidays at the hospital so that employees could be with their families.
Miss Lathrop documented her world travels with photos.
Survivors include a stepsister, Marvelle Roe of Elyria, and a step brother, Carl Moehl of Peoria, Ill.
There will be no visitation.
Services will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Baker Funeral Home, 206 Front St., Berea, followed by graveside services at the Camden Township Cemetery in Camden Township.

The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Sunday, June 19, 1994, p. E2.

Margaret Eloise (Bennett ) Latourette
Margaret Bennett Latourette died July 9, 1982, in Fenton, Mich. She was born in Nashville, Tenn., June 30, 1891, the daughter of Henry S. Bennett who received the A.B. [from Oberlin College] in 1860 and the A.M. (Sem.) in 1863. Her parents moved to Oberlin in 1894. A year later her father died and her mother, Anna C., built a home on Forest St. and lived there until 1919. Mrs. Latourette attended Oberlin High School [from which she graduated in 1908]. As a college student she was class treasurer her freshman year, was on the Hi-O-Hi board the next year and was president of Women’s Senate and Honor Court.
After graduation [from Oberlin College in 1912], she taught for the American Missionary Assn. in Tampa, Fla., at the Elementary Mission School. She then spent a year traveling and studying German and returned to Oberlin for three years as secretary for the YWCA. In 1917 she married classmate Sheldon H. Latourette.
In 1937 Mrs. Latourette began a 20-year career in social work as a case worker for the Bureau of Social Aid in Flint, Mich. She was also active in the AAUW, the YWCA and was on the board of the Genesee County Mental Health Assn.
She leaves a daughter Anne L. Foster ’46 and son Howard B. ’40, eight grandchildren, three great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews who attended Oberlin. Her husband died in 1980. Her brother, Leonard ’16 [OHS ‘11] recently completed a booklet entitled “Recollections,” an account of the Bennetts’ younger days while living on Elm St. Mrs. Latourette’s half brothers and sisters, Oliver ’88, William ’90, Mary Durand ’93 and Annie Ensminger ’98, are deceased.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, Autumn 1982, p. 91.

[Amelia Latteman]
Kipton—Mr. and Mrs. Karl Perkins of Chicago were called home Friday night by the sudden death of the former’s aunt, Miss Amelia [Aris] Latteman. Funeral services were held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. F. A. Perkins, with whom she had made her home, Sunday afternoon at 1:30 and at the Camden Baptist church at 2 o’clock, with Rev. W. H. Schweinfurth officiating. Burial was made in Camden cemetery. [She was an 1893 graduate of OHS. She married Ora Charles Ayliffe in Oct. 1900 and later divorced him and reassumed her maiden name.]
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, April 28, 1932, p. 3.

Mrs. Jesse Latteman
Mrs. Helen [Wynn] Latteman, 80, of 426 N. Main St., Amherst, died Thursday at the Amherst Nursing Home following a two-month illness.
She was born in Kipton on Oct. 23, 1898, [graduated from OHS in 1916,] and had lived in this area all her life.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Jesse B., in August, 1970 [1971], and by two brothers.
The Harold Dicken Funeral Home is in charge of funeral arrangements.
Graveside services will be Saturday at 2 p.m. in Camden Cemetery.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Friday, October 19, 1979, p. B-2.

Lawrence Lauer, 62, was business owner
South Amherst -- Lawrence Arthur Lauer, 62, of South Amherst, died Wednesday, April 10, 2002, at EMH Regional Medical Center, Elyria, following a brief illness.
He was born Feb. 22, 1940, in Oberlin and had lived in South Amherst since 1972.
He graduated from Oberlin High School in 1958.
Lauer was an entrepreneur who had owned several businesses. He was also manager for a body shop for many years.
Survivors include his wife, Judith (nee Smith); sons Kurt Lauer of Oberlin, Phil Lauer of Raleigh, N.C., Rick Lauer of Elyria and Alan Lauer of Phoenix, Ariz.; daughters Tonia Lauer of South Amherst and Lynnette Rak of Grafton; brother, Kenneth Lauer of Spring City, Tenn.; sister, Joan Cotton of Oberlin; and 13 grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, Milton and Wilmah (nee Hull) Lauer; and one granddaughter.
Friends may call Friday, 7 to 9 p.m., at Cowling Funeral Home, 228 S. Main St., Oberlin, where services will be Saturday at 11 a.m. with Larry Young officiating. Burial will be in Camden Cemetery, Camden Township.
The Morning Journal, Lorain, Ohio, Friday, April 12, 2002.

Former AAA manager, Lauer, dies
Wilmah Jean Lauer, 65, died last Thursday at her home in rural Elyria after a long illness.
Born in Oberlin, she was a lifelong area resident [and 1939 graduate of Oberlin High School]. She worked for the Oberlin Automobile Association for 22 years and was the manager for 15 years, retiring in 1979.
She then started the Oberlin Travel Terminal which she ran from 1979 to 1984 when her daughter took over the business.
She is survived by her husband, Milton; daughter, Mrs. Joan Cotton of Oberlin; sons, Larry of South Amherst and Kenneth of Spring City, Tenn.; nine grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Services were Monday morning in the Cowling Funeral Home, with burial in Ridge Hill Memorial Park, Lorain.
Memorial contributions, if desired, may be made to the Cleveland Clinic Foundation or the American Cancer Society.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, July 10, 1986, p. 2.

Arthur P. Laughlin
Arthur Pomeroy Laughlin, a member of a five-generation Oberlin (village) family, died on July 4, 1951, at Panama City, Fla., of cerebral hemorrhage.
He was born in Quincy, Ill., on July 14, 1872. His father was William H. Laughlin and his mother was Margaret Pugh.
After graduating from Oberlin [High School in 1891 and Oberlin College in 1896], he went on to take his M.A. at Ohio Wesleyan University in 1899.
He taught school in Jamesville, Wis., in 1900; in Chicago in 1901; and in LaGrange, Ill., for a few years succeeding 1901. After some years of residence in Moorehead, Minn., he moved to Peoria, Ill., in 1909, where he taught in the manual training school. He also taught summer courses in the normal school of Iowa State College.
Later, he taught at Northwestern University, and, finally, at Senn High School, Chicago. He retired in 1937 and went to live in Florida.
In Panama City he was very active in civic affairs, especially in support of the Bay County Library. The Panama City “News Herald” suggested that the name of the library be changed to the Arthur P. Laughlin library, as a fitting memorial.
Mr. Laughlin is survived by his wife, Catherine (Williams), two daughters, and a son, Robert, formerly of Oberlin, now of Huron. Mr. Robert Laughlin is the son of the first Mrs. Arthur Laughlin, Laura May Heusner, x’97.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, October 1951, p. 25.

Mrs. Laura M. Laughlin
Oberlin—Mrs. Laura M. Laughlin, 87, former elementary school teacher, died suddenly yesterday at 7:45 p. m. in her home, 150 Elm St. She was born at Henrietta Hill, Henrietta Township Nov. 6, 1872 and had lived in Oberlin since 1932.
Mrs. Laughlin [graduated from OHS in 1890,] attended Oberlin College and did graduate work at Illinois Teachers College. She taught in Lorain and in Oak Park and Peoria, Ill.
Mrs. Laughlin was a member of the First Congregational Church and was active in the Woman’s Club.
Survivors are a son, Robert, Oberlin; three grandsons, Philip, Robert K. Jr., and William Laughlin.
Friends will be received at the Cowling-Stang Funeral Home where services will be Friday at 3 p. m. The Rev. Joseph King will officiate. Burial will be in Westwood Cemetery.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Wednesday, February 17, 1960, p. 18.

Service tomorrow for Phyllis Laughlin
Phyllis Ohly Laughlin, 65, former Oberlin resident, died Monday afternoon at Lorain Community Hospital after she suffered an apparent heart attack at her home, 485 North Main, Vermilion.
Funeral services will be held tomorrow at 11 a.m. at the Cowling Funeral Home with Rev. Louis Bertoni, pastor of the Vermilion United Church of Christ of which Mrs. Laughlin was a member, officiating. Burial will be in Westwood Cemetery.
Mrs. Laughlin, born in Oberlin June 25, 1912, was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Ohly [and was a 1929 graduate of Oberlin High School]. Ohly’s Drug Store was the predecessor of the present Kaiser-Wells store.
She attended Southern Seminary in Virginia, Leland Powers School in Boston and Oberlin College. In Oberlin she was a member of First Church and Sorosis. The family moved to Vermilion in 1965.
Surviving Mrs. Laughlin are three sons, Philip of Youngstown, Robert of Washington, D.C. and William of Cleveland; three brothers, William of Westerville, Carlton of Marietta, Ga. and Robert of Richmond, Va.; and one grandchild. Her husband, Robert K., died in 1969.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, November 24, 1977, p. 6.

Mrs. Lewis Laughlin, Formerly of Oberlin, Dies in Norwalk
Mrs. Lewis Laughlin (Virginia [Louise] Powell), former Oberlin resident [and 1933 graduate of OHS], died at her home in Norwalk Wednesday at 4 a.m. She had been in ill health for several weeks.
Mrs. Laughlin, daughter of Mrs. Sabra M. Powell, left Oberlin about 10 years ago to make her home in Norwalk. Besides her husband and mother she is survived by a son and a daughter. Funeral arrangements have not yet been made.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, September 27, 1951, p. 4.

William Laughlin, 53

Austintown—William Laughlin, 53, of 561 S. Canfield-Niles Road, died of complications of multiple sclerosis Wednesday morning in Briarfield Manor.
Mr. Laughlin was born April 16, 1947, in Warren, a son of Robert and Phyllis [OHS ‘29] Laughlin.
He was a graduate of [OHS in 1965, of] Miami University in Oxford and had attended Case Western Reserve University.
He leaves a daughter, Jessica Thomas of Amherst, Ohio, and two brothers, Phillip W. of Warren and Robert K. of Washington, D.C.
There are no services. Friends may call from 10 a.m. to noon Friday at McFarland Funeral Home, Warren.
The Vindicator, Youngstown, Ohio, Thursday, February 15, 2001, p. B4.

Burdett (Sam) Lawson dies of acute bronchitis
Burdett (Sam) Lawson, 50, of 182 Hollywood, assistant vice president of the Oberlin Savings Bank, died Monday at Allen Hospital a few hours after he was admitted.
Death was caused by acute bronchitis. Mr. Lawson had been in ill health and under a doctor’s care for some time.
A native of Norwalk, Mr. Lawson spent most of his life in Oberlin. He opened Lawson’s Menswear in 1953 in the corner room of the old Oberlin Inn block. The move to 9 S. Main was made in 1955. Mr. Lawson sold the store to Harold T. Ross of Upper Sandusky, who continues to operate it under the Lawson name, on Oct. 1, 1966, and joined the bank staff six weeks later. He was a [1937] graduate of Oberlin High School.
A member of Christ Episcopal Church, Mr. Lawson had served on its vestry for many years. He was a past commander of Karl Wilson Locke Post 102, American Legion; past master of Oberlin Lodge 380 F&AM; and past high priest of Oberlin Chapter 219, RAM.
Mr. Lawson is survived by his wife, Elsie; two sons, Hal A., working toward a doctorate at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and Gene J., a student at Bowling Green State University; and his mother, Mrs. Alice Lawson of Oberlin.
Rev. Richard Baker conducted funeral services yesterday morning at Christ Church. A Masonic service was held at the Cowling Funeral Home Tuesday night. Burial was in Westwood Cemetery.
The family has asked that memorial contributions be to the Allen Hospital building fund.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, November 27, 1969, p. 7.

Dean Lawson Of Kansas U. Dies
Lawrence (AP)—Dr. Paul B. Lawson, 65, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Kansas, died Tuesday night.
He had been ill since he suffered a heart attack March 12.
Dr. Lawson, widely known throughout the state as a speaker at high school and college functions, was to have been retired from his administrative duties in June. He had planned to continue teaching entomology.
He was active in Lawrence business and church groups. For about 25 years he preached every Sunday at the West Side Presbyterian Church and for many years taught a Sunday School class.
He had appeared as a speaker in all but three of the state’s 105 counties.
Born in India where his parents were Methodist missionaries, Dr. Lawson came to the United States in 1903. He was graduated from Oberlin, Kas. [Ohio], High School in 1905, and John Fletcher College of University Park, Ia., in 1909. He came to K. U. as a graduate student in 1915, received his master of science degree in 1917 and his doctor’s degree in 1919.
In 1920 he became assistant professor. He was made associate professor in 1921, a professor and assistant dean of the college in 1922, associate dean in 1929 and acting dean in 1933, after the death of Dean J. C. Brandt.
Lawson’s successor as dean of the college was named recently. He is Dr. George R. Waggoner, now associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Indiana. Dr. Waggoner, a professor of English, is a K. U. graduate.
Atchison Daily Globe, Atchison, Kansas, Wednesday, March 31, 1954, p. 3.

Richard Millard Lawson
Unexpectedly, Richard Millard Lawson, 70, suffered a massive heart attack and died shortly before midnight, June 18, 2010. He was born on May 9, 1940 in Oberlin, Ohio to Elmer Millard and Annie Lee Lawson. [He graduated from OHS in 1959.] He is the elder brother of Walter Lee Lawson [OHS ‘63].
As a young man, Richard enjoyed working his paper route, fishing, riding his bike and visiting family. On his paper route he met his wife, Roberta Ann Harris. Richard enlisted in the Army in the early sixties and served in Germany. Back from the Army, Richard marred Roberta on Feb. 17, 1968. They have three children, Kimberly Reneé, Andrea Michelle and Lance Millard.
Richard worked at Ford Motor Company and retired after 46 years in the General Stores in 2005. Richard had many hobbies including photography, computers, and restoring headstones. Richard also had a true passion and respect for family. Up until his time of passing, Richard served as the president of the Oberlin African-American Genealogy and History Group. He has traced his family all the way back to the first member of the family to step off the plantation.
Richard loved his family and his family loved him, along with his many friends who loved him as well. Richard was always there for his family and friends when they were in need. He will always be loved and remembered for being the incredible man he was.
Funeral services were held Wednesday, June 23, 2010, at 11 a.m. at the Bauer-Laubenthal-Mercado Funeral Home, Elyria, Ohio. Interment was in Westwood Cemetery, Oberlin.

Funeral obituary.

Deirdre Ann Laycock
Deirdre Ann Laycock, 22, died in Akron on March 24. She was born in Chico, Calif., on Nov. 26, 1953, and lived in Oberlin from 1962 to 1974, attending Oberlin schools [she was a member of the OHS Class of 1971], Lake Ridge Academy, and Oberlin College. She also attended Occidental College and the University of Akron.

At the time of her death she had been living and working in Akron.

She is survived by her parents, Lenore and Frank Laycock, and her younger sister, Megan, of 172 Shipherd Cir.; by an older sister, Vera Lethbridge (in Cambridge, England) and an older brother, Christopher (in Seattle); and by her maternal grandmother, Mrs. Wayne E. Mayhew (in Davis, Calif.).

Rev. John Elder, assisted by Haskell Thomson at the organ, conducted a memorial service in First Church on March 30. She is buried in Westwood Cemetery.

Oberlin News-Tribune,
Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, April 1, 1976, p. 8.
Deirdre Laycock Morris died March 24 in Akron. Police found her body March 25 and said she had been strangled. William Mann, 27, in whose apartment the body was found, has been bound to the Summit County Grand Jury on a charge of murder. Deirdre had been staying at Mann’s apartment after separating from her husband, Harold Morris.
Deirdre was born in Chico, Calif., Nov. 26, 1953, and moved to Oberlin in 1962 when her father, Frank Laycock, became professor of education at Oberlin College. She attended Oberlin 1971-73 and also had studied at Occidental College and Akron Univ. She spoke French and Chinese and had studied for a year in Taiwan. She leaves her parents, two sisters, a brother and her maternal grandmother.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, May/June 1976, p. 41.

Linny T. Leach
Linny T. Leach, 83, of Lorain, died Tuesday at Oak Hills Nursing Home after a long illness.
She was born in Amherstburg, Ontario and had lived in Oberlin [OHS class of 1923] and Lorain since 1912.
She was retired from the Supreme Life Insurance Co. where she had been an agent in Lorain County for 20 years. She also had worked for the Avon Products Co. for 15 years.
She was the co-founder of the Daughters of the Sun Girls Club, a member of the Wesley United Methodist Church, the United Methodist Women’s Club, and was a choir director and church organist.
She is survived by a son, Leon T. of Sheffield Village; a sister, Gladys Wallace, of Cleveland; a brother Wilbur C. Thomas, Madison, Wisc.; five grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Leon, in 1969 and her daughter Lois Bond, in 1985.
Friends may call Friday from 2-4 and 7-9 at the Brown Funeral Home, Lorain.
Services will be held Saturday at 11 a.m. in the United Methodist Church, Lorain. Rev. Gary R. Henderson will officiate. Burial will be in Elmwood Cemetery, Lorain.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Thursday, December 11, 1986, p. E-2.

Richard LeCraft
Richard A. LeCraft, 50, of Owasso, Okla., former Oberlin resident, died Oct. 18 while on a fishing trip in British Columbia, Canada, after an apparent heart attack. Born in Elyria in 1942, he grew up in Oberlin and was a 1960 graduate of Oberlin High School.
He graduated from the University of Colorado in 1965 and was employed as a life insurance consultant.
Survivors include his wife, Patty; a son, Jonathan, a student in Laramie, Wyo.; and sisters, Karen Henderson of Columbia, S.C., and Nancy Steele of Leavenworth, Kansas. He was preceded in death by his mother, Ann Gorske, earlier this year.
A memorial service will be held Nov. 5 at 2:30 p.m. at Cowling Funeral Home.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, October 27, 1992, p. 2.

Carlton E. Lee, 87, construction exec

Avon—Carlton E[dgar] ''Ed'' Lee, 87, of Sandusky, died Sunday, Aug. 17, 2003, at the Community of Parkvue, Sandusky, following a brief illness.
He was born Jan. 26, 1916, in Lorain. He lived in Lorain, Oberlin, Elyria and Sandusky.
He graduated from Lorain [Oberlin] High School [in 1934], where he participated in football, baseball and track, earning honors in all of them. He was once voted healthiest boy in the Ohio State Fair.
Lee was employed as general superintendent of Don Beal Inc. and the T.J. Hume Co. He had worked as an experimental tool maker at Perry Fay Co., Elyria, during World War II designing tools used to manufacture the bombsight for the B-25 bomber. When he grew tired of working indoors, he started building homes with his father-in-law, Ezra Baetz, as C. Ed Lee Construction and Robert E. Lee Inc.
Lee was on the founding committee of the Ohio Home Builders Association.
He was a member of Elyria Elks Club and Pilgrim Congregational United Church of Christ, Elyria; and a member for more than 50 years of Masonic organizations including Free and Accepted Masons Stonington Lodge 503, Valley of Cleveland Scottish Rite, Al Koran Shrine and Shrine Mariners, Lorain County Shrine Club and El Rey Grotto. He served as a Lorain County deputy sheriff, and as Civil Defense chief of war services for Elyria Township during World War II.
Survivors include his sons Bill Lee and Jeff Lee, both of Sandusky; daughter, Barbara Hassel of Avon; and six grandchildren, six great-grandchildren; and nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his wife of 63 years, Margaret (nee Baetz); his parents, Edgar and Mary Lee; brothers Robert Lee and John ''Jack'' Lee; sister, Carma ''Dolly'' Wood; and one great-granddaughter.
Services will be Sept. 13 at 1 p.m. in Pilgrim Congregational United Church of Christ, 523 E. Broad St., Elyria, with a Masonic service. There is no funeral home visitation.
Memorial contributions may be made to Shrine Hospitals, c/o Lorain County Shrine Club, 193 Beck Road, Avon Lake 44012; Stein Hospice Service, 1200 Sycamore Line, Sandusky 44870; Pilgrim Congregational United Church of Christ, 523 E. Broad St., Elyria 44035; or a charity of the donor's choice.
Misencik Funeral Home, Avon, is handling arrangements
The Morning Journal, Lorain, Ohio, Monday, August 25, 2003.

Death of Miss Grace Lee
Miss Grace Lee, daughter of President [Rev. Samuel Henry] Lee of the French-American [now American International] college in Springfield, died at the home of her parents in that city yesterday afternoon after an illness of only a few days. Miss Lee [an 1883 graduate of OHS] was known to many here, having spent a large part of the summer of 1889 with her sister, Mrs. P. P. [Christabel] Safford of New York, who occupied the house of Rev. W. L. Tenney for the summer. She was a sister of Gerald Stanley Lee, who lectured here.
The North Adams Evening Transcript, North Adams, Mass., Sat., Dec. 29, 1900, p. 4.

James D. Lee
James D. Lee of Durand, Michigan, age 55, died Wednesday, July 18, 2001 at his residence after two years of fighting brain cancer.  Funeral services were held at 1 pm Saturday, July 21, 2001 at Swartz Funeral Home in Flint, Michigan with Pastor Steven Higley officiating.  Burial was in Greenwood Cemetery in Vernon Township. 
Mr. Lee was born in Hamilton, Ohio but raised primarily in Oberlin, Ohio, with brother David where their mother, Mrs. Helen Lee, taught elementary school at Eastwood School and their father, Dr. J. William Lee (dec'd 2003), taught Theology at Oberlin College.  Lee graduated with the OHS class of 1964 and attended the College of Wooster for one year before transferring to the University of Montana where he received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Music in 1968.  He then joined the OHS staff under Mr. James Billingsley as Assistant Band Director and took over as Band Director when Mr. "B" left in 1970.  From there Jim followed Mr. "B" to Massillon High School to again become Assistant Band Director. 
Jim decided to pursue his Masters Degree in Music from Kent State University and after completing that became Professor of Music at Mott College where he taught 28 years until his death.  He received numerous honors for excellence in teaching during his tenure at Mott and was the founder and director of the Jim Lee Fine Arts Camp held on the Mott campus each summer for 15 years.  This camp, which brings an "Interlochen" type experience to the inner city youth of the Flint area, is still going strong and was renamed in his honor/memory.  Lee played bass trombone in the Flint Symphony for 15 seasons and conducted the Flint Youth Wind Ensemble of the Flint Institute of Music for his final ten years touring with them in Washington, D.C., Pittsburgh, Toronto, Indianapolis, Cincinnati and other major cities on the east coast. 
Jim Lee is survived by his wife, Deborah Knisely (now of Ithaca, NY); children, Richard Lee of Flint, Mich., Kathryn and husband Jeremy Collard of Linden, Mich., Jessica and husband Larry Pruett of Lennon, Mich., Sarah Auten of Flint, and Christopher Meeks of Ithaca, N.Y.; 5 grandchildren, Tate Meeks, Hannah Auten, Julia Pruett, Tyler Collard, and Adam Pruett; mother, Helen Lee of Pleasant Hill, Tenn.; brother, David R. and wife Kaye Lee of Lima, Ohio.
Obituary prepared and submitted by Deborah Knisely Lee Novakovic

Lillie Ann Lee
Lillie Ann Lee, music teacher and founder of the Lee Music School (later the Lee-Ballard School) in Jersey City, died in Chicago on January 29, 1960, at the age of 93. She [was an 1887 graduate of OHS and a member of the Oberlin College class of 1890 and] had retired five years ago. Miss Lee had been employed as a music instructor in the recreation department of the Jersey City Board of Education and also gave private instruction in her school, teaching piano, harmony, and ear training. She taught also in Livingston College, N.C., and in the schools of Augusta, Ga. Her father, Henry Lee, attended Oberlin College, 1860-65, and her sister, Celia, 1889-92.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, November 1960, p. 30.

Ronnie McDaniel Lee Jr.

Lorain -- Ronnie ''Cheeze'' McDaniel Lee Jr., 28, of Lorain, died Sunday, May 7, 2006, in Cleveland.
He was born Feb. 12, 1978, in Amherst and was a lifelong resident of Lorain County.
He attended Oberlin High School [class of 1996?], enjoyed sports and going out and was known for cutting hair.
Survivors include his mother and stepfather, Joanne and Jeff Howard of Sheffield Village; his father, Ronnie M. Lee Sr. of Chicago, Ill.; brothers Collin Lee and James Lee, both of Lorain; maternal grandmother, Marianita Mercado of Cleveland; paternal grandparents, Narvine and Mildred Lee of Lorain; and a nephew and other relatives. He was preceded in death by his maternal grandfather, Wilfred Mercado; paternal grandfather, Willie Kelly; and maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Rosario.
Friends may call Friday from 10 a.m. until time of service at 11 a.m. at Greater Victory Christian Ministries, 559 Reid Ave., Lorain. The Rev. Ray Robinson Jr., pastor, will officiate. Burial will be in Elmwood Cemetery, Lorain.
Arrangements by Brown-Robinson Funeral Home, Lorain.
The Morning Journal, Lorain, Ohio, Thursday, June 1, 2006.

Mildred T. Lehti
Mildred T. Lehti, former Oberlin resident, died in her home in Oakland, Calif., on Feb. 11, after a long illness.
Born in Donnelly, Idaho, she moved to Oberlin in 1922 and graduated from Oberlin High School in 1940.
She attended Ohio State University and worked as a nutritionist at Neil Hall at OSU for 19 years. She then moved to California where she worked for the Del Monte Corp. until retiring in 1992.
Miss Lehti is survived by two sisters, Lilian Searles of Wellington and Ina Stone of Oberlin; three nieces and three grandnephews.
Her parents, Esther and Antone Lehti, preceded her in death.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, March 15, 1994, p. 2.

Clifford "C.T." LEIDER
Cliff passed away on October 11, 2008 after an extended illness at the age of 82. Born March 26, 1926 in Chicago, he spent his early years there, later moving to the Ohio areas of Cleve land and Oberlin. He graduated from Oberlin High School [in 1944] and went on to join the Navy when he turned 18. He served in the South Pacific during WW II, assigned to the Fleet Air Wing 17 where he flew in a B-34/PV aircraft throughout the Pacific Theater.
Returning to Ohio after the war, he went to college on the GI bill, attending Oberlin College and Bowling Green University, studying the fine arts. After graduation, the lure of aircraft and flying returned, and he began a career in the relatively new business of international travel agencies and tour guides. It was there he met his future wife of 53 years, Ruth (Stevens). Working as a stewardess for Air Canada, she met Cliff on one of his frequent trips on the airline. They married and resided in Oberlin until 1965. At that time, Cliff's uncle, who owned a growing aluminum recycling smelter in Seattle, convinced him of the natural beauty of the area and to move across the continent to join him in the business. After returning to school to learn metallurgy, he became the plant manager for many years.
He and Ruth resided in South King County for his remaining 43 years. Not surprisingly, their home was within a short drive of a panoramic view of the airport, where he would often spend evenings pointing out the various airlines and aircraft. He and Ruth loved to garden, and created a beautiful yard with many unique and ornamental plants. Having a furry friend around was also very important, and both Ruth and Cliff were proud "parents" to several four-legged creatures throughout their lives.
Cliff was preceded in death by his loving wife, Ruth. He is survived by his son, Richard (Elizabeth); grandchildren, Alex, Trevor, Danielle and Christian; his beloved nephew and nieces, Steve (Mary Lou), Linda (Geoff), Jill, Claire (John); and his sister-in-law, Marion.
Memorial services will be held at Bonney-Watson Parker Chapel, 900 SW 146th Street, Burien, WA, October 23, 11:00 a.m. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests a donation to an animal shelter of your choice. Please sign the online memorial guestbook at:
The Seattle Times and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Seattle, Wash., Sunday, October 19, 2008.

Emily Ada Leister

Mrs. Emily A. Leister [nee Worcester, formerly of Timberlawn Dr., South Toledo, passed away early Sunday, October 5, 2003, at the Elizabeth Scott Care Center, Maumee.
She was born June 12, 1907, in Oberlin, Ohio, and graduated from [OHS in 1925 and from] Ohio State University in 1929 with a degree in home economics.
From 1929 through 1935 she taught school in Oak Harbor and then was a service aid for Columbia Gas. Subsequently she had positions with the Gladieux Corp., taught school at Whitney Vocational, managed the cafeteria at Macomber High School and later the cafeteria at St. Vincent Hospital.
In her later years she was a food consultant and authored several cookbooks and was regarded by many as a true gourmet. She loved all aspects of preparing fine foods and particularly the delight of seeing family and friends enjoy her dishes.
She was preceded in death by her husband of 42 years, Reginald S. Leister who passed away in 1977. She is survived by a son, Reginald C. (Nancy) Leister, Toledo, and daughter, Peggy Maish of Cleveland. The grandchildren are Linda (Dave) Ball, Shawn (Tami) Leister, Julie (Paul) Ketterman, Tim Leister, Jaymi (Lorrie) Crossfield, Janell Crossfield, Jody (Amy) Crossfield and Joy (John) Spondike, and 11 great-grandchildren.
Friends may call at the Coyle Funeral Home, 1770 S. Reynolds Road, Wednesday, beginning at 2 p.m., where funeral services will follow at 6 p.m. Memorials may take the form of contributions to Hospice of Northwest Ohio or the Toledo Animal Shelter.
The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, Tuesday, October 7, 2003.

Hilda A. Lender
Hilda A. Lender (nee Takacs), 79, of Elyria and formerly of Oberlin, died Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2005, at EMH Regional Medical Center after a short illness.
Born in Oberlin [and a 1945 graduate of OHS], she moved to Elyria 11 years ago.
She enjoyed sewing, reading, gardening being a homemaker and spending time with her family. She was a member of the Altar and Rosary Society of Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Oberlin and St. Mary Catholic Church of Elyria.
Survivors include sons Frank Jr. of Elyria and John of Toledo; daughters Margaret Strait of Elyria and Karen Lender of Columbus; five grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and a brother, Wilbur Takacs of Oberlin. She was preceded in death by her husband, Frank J. Sr. in 1991; and a sister, Betty Green.
Friends may call 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Monday at Busch Funeral Home, 114 Second St., Elyria, where services will be 11 a.m. Tuesday. The Rev. Patrick Shields of St. Mary Catholic Church, Elyria, will officiate. Interment will be in St. Mary’s Cemetery in Elyria.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Saturday November 26, 2005.

Barbara H. Leonard

Barbara H[opkins] Leonard of Oberlin died Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2004, at Kendal at Oberlin. She was 87.
Born Dec. 5, 1916, in Oberlin, she graduated from [OHS in 1933 and from] Oberlin College in 1937. She received her doctorate degree from the University of Rochester in 1948.
She served as a visiting lecturer on zoology at Oberlin College from 1944 to 1945, and as an instructor in zoology at Smith College from 1945 to 1951.
In 1951 she became the fist woman on the faculty of St. John’s College in Annapolis, Md., where she was a tutor and assistant dean until 1987. She was also a tutor at the St. John’s Graduate Institute in Santa Fe, N.M. and one of the founders of St. John’s Santa Fe campus in 1969.
She was a Fulbright lecturer and honorary professor of zoology at Lady Doak and American Colleges in Maduri, South India.
She was president of the Oberlin branch of the American Association of University Women, and a member of the League of Women Voters and First Church in Oberlin UCC.
She had lived in Oberlin since retiring in 1987, but she remained active in both St. John campuses, serving on their board of visitors and governors.
She enjoyed bird watching traveling, music and fine arts, reading, and Elderhosteling.
Miss Leonard is survived by her sister, Margaret “Peg” Leonard of Oberlin; and a cousin, Doris Davis of North Hampton [Northampton], Mass. She was preceded in death by her parents, Fred E. and Bertha (nee Hopkins) Leonard.
A memorial service will be held at 2:30 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 26, at Kendal at Oberlin, the Rev. David Hill, pastor of First Church in Oberlin officiating. Dicken Funeral Home and Cremation Service of Elyria is handling arrangements.

Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, August 24, 2004, p. 3.

Edmund Clarence Leonard
Edmund C. Leonard died on March 11, 1954, at Bay Pines Hospital, Florida, where he had been a patient since November. He was born in Boston, Mass., on May 21, 1891. [He graduated from OHS in 1909 and from Oberlin College in 1914.] He was an Air Force veteran of both World Wars and held the Silver Star, the Purple Heart, and the Bronze Star. During the first World War he flew one of the “Liberty planes” or “Flying Coffins.” He was wounded and his plane shot down and he spent some time as a German prisoner of war. After graduation but before entering the Air Force he worked in the Oberlin Print Shop. On his return to civilian life he was for several years a bond salesman and then returned to the printing business. At the beginning of World War II he was recalled to service with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. He is survived by his wife, Grace Larson Leonard, KTS ’13, and three children.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, May 1954, p. 20.

Mrs. Eva Leonard Dies at Age of 90
Mrs. Eva [Bess] A. Leonard [nee Andrus], 90, of 501 Toepfer ave., died suddenly Tuesday at her home. [She graduated from OHS in 1879.]
She was the former Dallas Center high school principal.
Mrs. Leonard moved to Madison in 1923 with her only son, Sterling A., University of Wisconsin English professor who died in a canoeing accident in Lake Mendota in 1931.
The body was taken to the Frautschi funeral home.
Photograph: Mrs. Eva A. Leonard
Wisconsin State Journal, Madison, Wis., Wed., June 28, 1950, p. I-3.
Mrs. Leonard Services
Memorial services for Mrs. Eva A. Leonard, 90, of 501 Toepfer ave., who died Tuesday, will be held at 11 a.m. Friday in the First Congregational church chapel.
The Rev. Alfred W. Swan will officiate.
Mrs. Leonard was born in the state of New York. Since moving to Madison in 1929, she had been a member of the Congregational church, the Dicken’s Fellowship, the Woman’s Club, and the New England Women.
Survivors include a granddaughter, Mrs. Barbara Leonard Reynolds, Yellow Springs, O. and three great-grandchildren.
The family has requested that flowers be omitted.
Wisconsin State Journal, Madison, Wis., Thurs., June 29, 1950, p. I-4.

Margaret H. Leonard
Margaret "Peg" H. Leonard, 93, of Oberlin, passed away Sunday, August 10, 2008. She was born December 27, 1914 in Oberlin, where she attended local schools.
She was the daughter of Dr. Fred E. Leonard, a pioneer in the development of physical education at Oberlin College, and Bertha Hopkins Leonard, who taught physical education and health fundamentals also at Oberlin College.
Peg was a [1932 graduate of OHS and a] graduate of Oberlin College with Bachelor of Arts in Music in 1937. After graduation, she studied harmony with Nadia Boulanger and organ with Marcel Dupre at the American Conservatory in Fontainebleau, France, for two summers and in Paris for a year. She returned to Oberlin for her Bachelor of Music in organ in 1942.
Thereafter, she was an instructor in music at the University of South Dakota in Vermillion, South Dakota. Returning to Oberlin to nurse her mother who had become ill, she was hired as the Oberlin Shansi Secretary in 1943, non-profit organization that carries out programs of educational exchange between Oberlin College and universities in Asia.
She remained with Shansi for the rest of her career and retired as executive secretary in 1981. After retirement, she continued part time for several years, working in the Shansi office for 43 years. Margaret remained a faithful honorary member of the Shansi Board. In May 2002, at the dedication of Shansi House, she was presented with the Oberlin Shansi Outstanding Service Award. In all, she served Shansi for 65 years.
She was well traveled in Asia and during the course of her Shansi work, gained a great interest in and affection for the Shansi affiliate in Madurai, India, Lady Doak College.
A lifelong member of First Church in Oberlin (UCC), she served on several committees and sang in the choir for over 50 years. A devoted and active alumna of Oberlin College, she was awarded the Alumni Medal in May 1984.
She was preceded in death by her parents; a brother; and a sister, Barbara H. Leonard in 2004.
A memorial service will be Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 4 P.M. at Kendal at Oberlin with Rev. David Hill officiating. Burial will be in Westwood Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to Oberlin Shansi, 103 Peters Hall, Oberlin, OH 44074 or First Church In Oberlin, Main and Lorain Streets, Oberlin, OH. Dicken Funeral Home and Cremation Service, Elyria handled of arrangements.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Thursday, August 14, 2008.

Oberlin Youth [Robert Hopkins Leonard] Succumbs to Meningitis
Oberlin, Feb. 7. – Robert Hopkins Leonard, son of Mrs. F. E. Leonard and of the late Dr. F. E. Leonard, Oberlin College physician, died at 8 o’clock Friday morning at his home, 174 East College street after several weeks of illness with spinal meningitis. Robert, who was 14 years of age, and a student in the Oberlin high school, was taken ill about the middle of January with a non-contagious form of the meningitis, and grew gradually worse until about the first of this week when hope for recovery was given up.
He leaves, besides his mother, who is a teacher in the local high school, Mildred and Margaret.
His father died about two years ago.
The funeral was held from the home at 3:30 this afternoon with President H. C. King, Rev. J. L. Lobingier and Rev. Nicholas Van der Pyl having charge of the services.
The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, Ohio, Saturday, February 7, 1925, p. 2.
Passing of Robt. Leonard Severe Shock
Community Sympathizes with Stricken Mother in the Loss of Her Only Son Last Friday
Had Been in Poor Health for Several Weeks—The Funeral Services Held in First Church Monday
After a week’s hovering between life and death, Robert Hopkins Leonard passed away at the home of his mother, Mrs. F. E. Leonard, 174 East College street, Friday morning. He had been in poor health for several weeks but his condition was not considered serious until the latter part of January.
Robert was in his 14th year and was a sophomore in [Oberlin] high school [class of 1927]. He was a bright, studious lad and a brilliant future lay before him. Since the death of his father, Dr. Fred E. Leonard, director of physical education in college, two years ago, Robert had shouldered many of the responsibilities for his mother. He was ambitious and industrious and found time to help in Tobin’s drug store outside of school hours.
Besides his mother he leaves two sisters, Margaret and Barbara. A tribute to his memory from teachers and scholars will be found on another page.
The funereal services were held in the First church Monday afternoon at 3:30 o’clock, conducted by President King, Rev. Nicholas Van der Pyl and Rev. J. L. Lobinger. The burial was in Westwood cemetery.
Mrs. Leonard and daughters have the sympathy of the entire community in their misfortune.
The Oberlin Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Friday, February 13, 1925, p. 1.

Death of Frank C. Leseman
Frank C. Leseman died at his home on West College street on Sunday morning, October 4. He was born in Massachusetts. His father, Rev. Ernest Leseman, a man of rare ability and education, an earnest and successful minister, was instantly called from his life work by accident. Mrs. Leseman and her son returned to Ohio.
Frank was a thorough student in the Oberlin high school, graduation in the class of ’90. He was ever ambitious to excel in his studies, and his record showed that in this he succeeded, and though deprived of the advantages of a thorough education, kept a live interest on all educational lines, and with a broad outlook upon all topics of interest, kept ever in closest touch with all questions of the day throughout the world, the day before his death, reading with unfailing interest the news of the times.
For ten years he was a most efficient clerk in the Oberlin postoffice. For the past year his health has gradually failed, but he bore disease and weakness with quiet fortitude, and worked heroically to near the end.
Funeral services were held from his late residence on Tuesday afternoon, October 6, conducted by Dr. Tenney, assisted by Rev. E. Warner. The postoffice employees were in attendance, and surrounded by loving friends, with sweetest music, and a profusion of flowers around and over him, they bore him gently over his home threshold and laid him in his last resting place.
The Oberlin News, Oberlin, Ohio, Tuesday, October 13, 1903, p. 1.

David Kellogg LewisPrinceton Professor David Lewis dies at 60
Longtime philosophy professor was leading figure in his field
Princeton, N.J. -- David [Kellogg] Lewis, the Class of 1943 University Professor of Philosophy at Princeton University and a leading figure in philosophy, died suddenly Oct. 14 from complications arising from diabetes. He was 60.
Lewis joined the Princeton faculty as an associate professor in 1970 and remained at Princeton for the rest of his life.
Born in Oberlin, Ohio and brought up in an academic household, Lewis [graduated from Oberlin High School in 1957,] received his bachelor's degree in philosophy from Swarthmore College in 1962 and his Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1967. His thesis advisor was W. V. Quine, on whose prose style Lewis modeled his own. He taught at the University of California at Los Angeles for four years before coming to Princeton.
"He is widely regarded as one of the outstanding philosophers of his time," said Mark Johnston, chairman of the Princeton philosophy department. "For more than 30 years, David has made seminal contributions in philosophy of mind, philosophy of language, metaphysics and epistemology. He is the greatest systematic metaphysician since Leibniz."
Johnston, who worked as a graduate student at Princeton with Lewis, described him as "sweet and stern," noting that "the gentle part came out more often. He was always unfailingly generous with his time and with positive philosophical suggestions, and ruthless with his criticism." He was a mentor to scores of students, many of whom have gone on to be significant figures in the field, Johnston said. "Lewis inspired students to approach systematic philosophy with a new seriousness," he said.
Lewis' work was notable for its breadth, ranging over almost every area of philosophy. "Whether it was logic, philosophy of science, metaphysics, ethics, epistemology, political philosophy, he did it all," said Paul Benacerraf, the James McDonnell Distinguished University Professor of Philosophy and Lewis' colleague for 30 years. "The breadth of what he covered was astounding, and the originality of his ideas and the care with which he presented them were equally astonishing," Benacerraf said. "He was a wonderful stylist."
Lewis was also known for his fascination with trains, his love for Australia, Australian philosophy and Australian Rules football, and his profound lack of interest in learning to use a modern computer. Lewis preferred to compose on an antique word processor that used floppy disks the size of small pizzas.
"He was a railroad buff; he had a detailed scale model of British Rail in his basement," Benacerraf said. When Lewis spent time in England, he would often hop on a train in the morning and spend the entire day riding various train lines, reading and writing during the rides.
Lewis met his wife, Stephanie, in a seminar given by a visiting Australian philosopher, J. J. C. Smart, in the fall of 1963. Beginning in 1971, the two made more than 20 trips to Australia, visiting philosophy departments and colleagues and friends around the country. Lewis came to know Australia better than many Australians and considered the city of Melbourne to be a second home. He was named an honorary fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities in 1994.
Lewis wrote widely on many topics in philosophy. His first book, Convention: A Philosophical Study, published in 1969 when he was 28, brought him the Matchette Prize in Philosophy, a national award for the best book by a scholar in philosophy under 40 years of age. He also published Counterfactuals (1973) and On the Plurality of Worlds (1986). The latter argued powerfully for the mind-boggling thesis that the actual world is just one among an infinity of possible worlds, each one as real as the rest. When defending this view against an astonished critic, he replied: "I cannot refute an incredulous stare."
Two volumes of Lewis' collected papers were published in the 1980s. In the last few years, the Cambridge University Press published three more collections of his writings, in the areas of philosophical logic, metaphysics and epistemology, and ethics and social philosophy. At his death he was completing a paper in the philosophy of physics called "How Many Lives has Schrödinger's Cat?"
Lewis delivered several major sets of lectures in philosophy, including the Hägerstrom Lecture, the Howison Lectures, the Whitehead Lectures, the John Locke lectures, and the Jack Smart Lecture. He received honorary degrees from the University of Cambridge, the University of York and the University of Melbourne. In 1991 he won a Behrman Award from Princeton for distinguished achievement in the humanities.
He is survived by his wife, Stephanie; his brother, Donald; and his sister, Ellen.
A memorial reception was held Thursday, Oct. 18 at Prospect House on the Princeton University campus, hosted by the philosophy department. A formal memorial service will be held in January.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be sent to the American Civil Liberties Union, 125 Broad St., 18th Floor, New York, NY 10004-2400.
News Release from Princeton University, Office of Communications, Stanhope Hall, Princeton, New Jersey 08544-5264, Friday, October 19, 2001

Burial to be here today for Mrs. Dorothy Lewis, 60
Mrs. Dorothy Frances Lewis, 60, former Oberlin resident, died Sunday at St. Margaret Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pa. Her home was at 62 Church St., Uniontown, Pa.
Rev. Fred Steen will conduct services today at 3 p.m. at the Cowling Funeral Home. Burial will be in Westwood Cemetery.
Mrs. Lewis was born in Oberlin Aug. 3, 1906 and grew up here [graduating from Oberlin High School in 1925]. She is survived by her husband, Dr. Charles Lewis; her mother, Mrs. Charles Reed of Oberlin; two brothers, Charles of Detroit and Donald of Boston; and one sister, Mrs. Marian Cox of Columbus.
Oberlin News-Tribune, Oberlin, Ohio, Thursday, October 6, 1966, p. 6.

Ruth Curtis Lewis
Mrs. William Ditto Lewis (Ruth Marilla Curtis), 72, died in a nursing home in Wilmington, Delaware, on May 30, 1963, after a long illness. She was born in Osaka, Japan, in 1890[, graduated from OHS in 1909, and graduated from Oberlin College in 1918]. Her mother was Lydia Cone Curtis, Class of 1880.
Ruth Curtis and William D. Lewis, ’19, were married in September 1925. Both were librarians. She was on the staff of the Memorial Library of the University of Delaware from 1930 until her retirement in 1951 as head cataloger. Her husband was archivist and bibliographer until his retirement in 1961.
Mrs. Lewis was active in the First Presbyterian Church of Newark, Delaware. From 1945 to 1947 she was vice president of the Delaware Library Association. Mr. Lewis is her only immediate survivor.
The Oberlin Alumni Magazine, Oberlin, Ohio, November 1963, p. 39.