oberlin-high.org Forum Index oberlin-high.org
O-High Alumni Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mrs. Carleton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    oberlin-high.org Forum Index -> Memories of Favorite Teachers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al DeGennaro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Mrs. Carleton Reply with quote

The teacher who changed my life was Mrs. Carleton. Coming from her, Chemistry was elegant, understandable, and USEFUL. All kinds of things that I didn't understand started to make sense because of being in her class.
She had very high expectations, and not everyone liked her class, but that class was perfect for me.
When higher-level Math got the best of me in college, I remembered what got me excited in high school, and I'm now completing my 28th year of teaching Chemistry.
carolynev1@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mrs. Carleton Reply with quote

And I remember my brother Rick Palkovic and his pal Bill Laughlin blew up the lab by saving bits of their experiments. They were in the hospital for three days. (My mother was furious.) Mrs. Carleton hung their melted safety goggles on the bulletin board as a reminder to the students, that if you do something stupid, at least remember to wear your goggles. I think that shortly after this incident Mrs. Carleton decided to retire.

Carolyn Palkovic Evans
jschroeder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Mrs. Carleton Memories Reply with quote

I too can always remember Mrs. Carleton reminding us to all wear our safety goggles. She made learning fun and interesting from bringing donuts to class, making candy canes, a monkey that taught something, to cooking hot dogs on a nail (I believe). Back then, those things made sense but now after not having chemistry or physics for many years, it is hard to remember what those experiments were teaching. I had to work very hard to get 18 and 19's on her tests but I will always remember feeling proud! A lot of kids missed out once she retired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oberlin-high.org Forum Index -> Memories of Favorite Teachers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: