oberlin-high.org Forum Index oberlin-high.org
O-High Alumni Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oliver Shubert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    oberlin-high.org Forum Index -> Memories of Favorite Teachers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carolyn Palkovic-Evans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Oliver Shubert Reply with quote

I had Mr. Oliver Shubert for Geometry in 10th grade in about 1968, and also for private clarinet lessons. He was a truly gifted teacher who was so well-respected by his students, discipline was never a problem. We wanted his respect, because he respected his students, and belived in our abilities.

He also wore bow ties, and I specifically remember his "lighted" version, appropriate for the holidays. He was a master of corny jokes, too, and everyone loved his ability to get a laugh and a groan from the class.

As a clarinet teacher, he had the gift of assigning music just beyond what I thought myself capable of performing. He knew how to get me to reach for new goals, and to feel successful.

Mr. Shubert has been gone for quite a few years, but I will never forget his classes. (I still like geometry, and I still have my clarinet!)
Al DeGennaro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Mr. Shubert Reply with quote

I'll second what Carolyn said about Mr. Shubert. He was an outstanding teacher whose gentle manner hid a strong personal committment to excellence.
Students' respect for him grew every day. I remember being devastated by a very mild rebuke when I was "off-task". I spent the rest of the year trying to make it up to him.
Kathi Fields

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Oliver Shubert Reply with quote

I would also like to cast my vote for Oliver Shubert being my favorite as well as my most influential teacher at OHS. He demanded that we examine each word in a mathematical definition carefully to determine what it was and wasn't telling us about the overall meaning of the term being defined. He also often gave us the wrong answer to a problem to see if we would catch him at it. He taught us about both the precision and beauty of math while injecting humor into the subject. It was my desire to follow in his footsteps that led me to be a college math teacher.
Francis Roellinger
First Time Poster
First Time Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Oliver Shubert Reply with quote

I concur with the 3 previous posts. I had Oliver Shubert for 3 years. He presented math in a way that commanded respect, both for himself as a teacher and for the subject matter. Here I first began to sense the profundity and beauty of mathematics as an intellectual discipline with wide application. He also gave me personal encouragement when I needed it.

I learned the value of perseverance in solving problems, and that there is often more than one way to solve a problem, each with equal validity. We all gained self-confidence from standing at the board explaining solutions to the class. Being wrong or stuck once was great motivation for getting it right the next time.

The skills and perseverance that I learned in these classes, I employed in earning college and graduate degrees in math and computer science, and then to solve complex logic problems over 35 years as a software engineer. Thank you, Mr. Shubert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oberlin-high.org Forum Index -> Memories of Favorite Teachers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: